[nflug] copy (cp) large number of files

Robert F. Stockdale IV javabob at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 25 04:53:01 EDT 2006

Hello all:
	I'm in the middle of reconfiguring my server. This box now runs Gentoo with several scsi
drives. I have three drives that I'm using LVM2 to create 1 directory. This stores mostly music
and video files. In order not to loose any of the files I created an LVM partition out of 2 18G
drives. I then formated this with mkreiserfs and mounted it. I then tried to copy the nearly
full 36G ext3 drive to the newly created LVM drive. This is with the intention of reformatting
the ext3 drive with reiserfs and using it to extend the LVM partition. However, when I tried to
copy the files I got:

cp /mnt/mus/multimedia/* /mnt/mus/
-bash: /usr/bin/cp: Argument list too long

	My son stop by and told me to use -R switch which did work at copying. However, it also copied
the directory. I want to be able to mount this as /mnt/multimedia and then create the
directories applicable for the files used. If left in the current state it would mount ok but
instead of referring to the directory as /mnt/multimedia it would be
/mnt/multimedia/multimedia. So my question is: How can I get these into the parent directory of
the LVM partition without the "-bash: /usr/bin/cp: Argument list too long " error message?
Thank you,
Bob