[nflug] DSL

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Apr 20 19:05:45 EDT 2006

John Nichel wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> I got DSL and VoIP working for my partner in Windoze.  There were some
>> pretty big bumps, but it's all smooth now.
>>
>> Now, I want to do it for my desktop running Mandrake 9.1.  (I'd wait to
>> get a new system, but other people in the house need the phone when I'm
>> online.)
>>
>> I have two ethernet cards in the box that both seem to work, but I never
>> used them much under Windows  and not at all under Linux.  One is a 3Com
>> PCI 3c900 that Linux seems to like.  The other is a Network Anywhere
>> card (700?) that doesn't seem to show up in dmesg.
>>
>> I don't really know much about configuring firewalls or ethernet.
>>
>>  From configuring the Verizon DSL for my partner, I know the modem lives
>> at 192.168.1.1 (and uses a few others in the 192.168.1.x range).  It has
>> an html user interface.  Verizon does _not_ use PPPoE.  I believe it
>> needs DHCP instead.
>>
>> Is this going to be a big deal to figure out or is it fairly simple?
>>
>> Is there a *really* *simple* howto I can read?
>>
>> I don't want to do any server stuff at all with the possible exception
>> of using a bit torrent client and that's nice, but not necessary. I just
>> want to get the connection working for Internet access and email and be
>> sure that I'm reasonably well protected against attacks.  As it stands
>> now, I've never had a security problem with the default configurations
>> using dial up.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> dmesg segment about the 3com card
>>
>> Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
>> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0e.0
>> eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xf800, 00:20:78:05:A4:F4, IRQ 9.
>> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0f.0
>> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
>> See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
>> 00:0f.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Boomerang 10baseT at 0xfc40. Vers LK1.1.18-ac
>> 00:60:08:aa:0a:94, IRQ 9
>>  product code 4b46 rev 00.0 date 10-26-97
>>  Internal config register is 302d8, transceivers 0xe108.
>>  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, 10baseT interface.
>>  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
>> 00:0f.0: scatter/gather enabled. h/w checksums disabled
>>
>> I looked in /dev and don't see anything like eth0, etc. so I may need to
>> load one or more modules.
>>

> I've never had much luck with 3Com and Linux (specifically their
> 509's).  The Netgear FA/311's have worked flawlessly for me though.
>
> Are you wanting to set up the Linux box to do routing, or just want to
> get it online?  If it's the later and the Verizon modem is a Westel,
> just set your network connection on the Linux box for DHCP (the Westel
> /should/ handle it).  By default my Westel has most ports blocked, but
> you can do forwarding (NAT) via the web interface for the modem.  You
> won't need to do anything like that for surfing the web or checking
> [...]
That sounds encouraging.  It should be a Westell (I have a spare from my
last install tribulations that I haven't sent back yet.) and I just want
to surf and email.  Now, how do I :

1) "just set your network connection on the Linux box for DHCP".  I
currently use kppp for dialup and that's all I know about.

2) What firewall?  I have gone to several websites that test your
defenses and my system looks pretty good - almost nothing open, but I
don't even see an iptables file:

root /home/bigbird/tmp: $locate iptables
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Adv-Routing/lartc.bridging.iptables.html
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Linuxs-20030211/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.bridging.iptables.html
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.11mdk/include/config/ip6/nf/iptables.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.11mdk/include/config/ip6/nf/iptables
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.11mdk/include/config/ip6/nf/iptables/module.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.11mdk/include/config/ip/nf/iptables.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.11mdk/include/config/ip/nf/iptables
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.11mdk/include/config/ip/nf/iptables/module.h

I'd like to get bit torrent working, but it's a moot point until the
simple stuff works (and the rest of the household stops getting upset
over a tied up phone line).

Thanks.

Joe