[nflug] Firefox and jre

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Apr 15 16:33:09 EDT 2006

I'm trying to convince Firefox 1.5 to do java.  (on Mandrake 9.1)
When I go to
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
It fails to display the animation.  FF puts up an "I need a plugin" bar.
When I click on install missing plugins, it offers java runtime
environment, but when I click next, it says not available and when I
click Manual install,
it just takes me to a download page.
I  have already downloaded jre-1_5_0_02-linux-i586.bin
I made it executable and ran it using sudo.
It seems to have completed except that it throw two messages about
dirname having too few arguments.

I remembered how I got this to work with mozilla and created a link from
what I think the plugin is to where I think firefox would look for it:

bigbird ~/installs/firefox/plugins: $ln ~/installs/"java
jre"/jre1.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7-*/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

bigbird ~/installs/java jre/jre1.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29: $ls -l
total 192
-rwxr-xr-x    2 root     root       188504 Nov 10 16:45
libjavaplugin_oji.so*

This has no effect.  (and, yes, I did close ff and restart it.)
I checked ff preferences and java and javascript are enabled with all
the advanced options checked except the ones that allow it to mess with
the status bar.

OK.  What did I miss?

Thanks.

Joe