[nflug] Router Questions

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Apr 7 12:10:33 EDT 2006

I understand what a router is, but I've never worked with one, so I've
got some basic questions.  I don't expect anyone on this list to debug
my VoIP (SunRocket) problem.  The questions below are mostly OS and
vendor independent.

I'm having trouble getting VoIP to work for my partner (I'll be talking
to VoIP level 3 support later.)  She has Verizon DSL.  I don't remember
the exact speeds, but it's about 800/168 (the slowest/cheapest).  The
VoIP says it needs 90/90 to work.

Currently, the DSL line comes into the Modem, out to the VoIP box, and
then from the VoIP box into the notebook (Win 98se). Nothing has
wireless capabilities.

When I hook up the DSL without the VoIP box, it works fine.  When I put
the VoIP in the middle,  not only does it not work, but the DSL goes
away and when I remove the VoIP box, I have to argue with the DSL box
for awhile to get it to work again.

I don't expect you to fix the above.  That's (at least theoretically)
what the level 3 support is for.  (They count the web/voice menus as
level 1 these days, so they make the humans feel better by starting them
at level 2.  Isn't marketing wonderful?)

Questions:

1) Would it be simpler to get a router and hook the notebook and VoIP
boxes in "parallel" instead of "series" (like electric circuits, not
computer ports)?  It seem like this way the notebook would continue to
work even if the VoIP box is moderately fubar.

If the answer to 1) is yes:

2) Right now I don't have any wireless lan stuff, but when I get new
computers (hopefully soon), they will have wireless capability.  I know
there are wireless routers that come with several ethernet ports so I
could use them with my old computers.

Do any of these routers have an option to physically turn off the
wireless part (not just disable its use) until I need it?  I prefer not
to bring another emf transmitter into the house if I'm not actually
using it.  Also, I really don't want to bother with locking down the
router so war drivers, etc. can't get me when I'm not even using the
wireless myself.

3) Should I just get a wired router for now and get a wireless one later
when I actually need it?  Anyone have one they want to part with?

4) From discussions on this list, I know I have to be very careful when
I get wireless adapters for PC's etc. because many are not supported
under Linux  (which I plan to run on any new computers I buy).  Does any
of this apply to routers as well or are they just configured using a web
browser working on any connected platform?

5) If I get a router, is it "easy" to tell the router something like
"When the VoIP is active, reserve 90/90 bandwidth for it.  When it's not
active, give all the bandwidth to the notebook, etc." ?

TIA

Joe