[nflug] Kernel Panic Help

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com
Thu Apr 6 13:40:01 EDT 2006

Yeah It's Redhat 2.1 It's a production server that's been around for
several years. I stay pretty current on the updates, I run them every
few weeks when it gets about 20. I don't take it down that often. I've
never had a problem before, even with the latest Redhat kernel and
updates it did it again. From what I can tell I think it's hardware not
software. I don't seem to get a consistant error, it happens during peak
loads, virusscans and backups. I think it may be a overheating issue,
the raid controller chips were quite hot.

I've got the box open and letting the AC in, I'm not going to try
tracking it down, especially if it is hardware, the machine is mission
critical and any downtime will cost us more than replacing it. It's over
3 years old anyways which is usually our replacement point. I've got a
new Penguin Computing one going through the approval process.

On a related note if I replace this with a Redhat 4 server, this box has
several NFS shares, bound to a Redhat 2.1ES NIS server, anyone know of
any NIS / NFS issues with a Redhat 4 server to Redhat 2.1 or 3 clients.
In there past there used to be some versioning issues.

Thanks for the info.

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator
Dynabrade, Inc.