Converting a Windoze domain to SMB

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 19:50:25 EDT 2005

Tis not hard at all,  though if the winXP boxen are in a domain make sure you
LEAVE the domain (on each box, change it to workgroup mode) BEFORE
decomissioning the server and wiping it, otherwise you'd need the LOCAL admin
password (or a hack tool) to login on the XP boxes to break the already broken
domain link to the non-existant server.

Read the Samba howto (or call me over and feed me beer and food and I'll help
you with it...)  DNS and email (and even spam control) are pretty much cake on
a linux box. (pita on winblows (chunks))

--- Robert Meyer <meyer_rm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I may have to fix my landlord's network, soon.  They have a small network of
> XP
> Pro boxen (can't change those due to apps) but their server appears to have
> been hijacked by spambots.
>
> I may want to convert the $6000 server to Linux to solve the problem.  As far
> as I can tell, it currently is running Email, Domain control and file
> serving.
> I haven't done any analysis on their apps, yet.
>
> Before I get into this, what does it take to convert a bunch of PCs from a
> Windows domain (quite possibly using active directory) to a SAMBA
> environment?
> I've worked a lot with SAMBA but never doing PDC stuff.  Like I said, I can
> only convert the server, not the PCs.  I will probably have to set up file
> shares but I can get Command Central Vexira to handle scanning for viruses on
> the shares.  I may also have to convert them from using Exchange to IMAP but
> that's not terribly hard.  I've done Email conversions, before.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Bob

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Dave J. Andruczyk