usb thumdrive mount in knoppix

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 19:47:19 EDT 2005

try "mount -oremount,rw /mnt/usbdrive"  replace the "/mnt/usbdrive" with the
path to where the usb thumbdrive is actually mounted..  Some distros default to
mounting them RO as some flash drives can be "worn out" by excessing writes and
by mounting read only that is prevented, as even doing an "cat" (read
operation) on a file on a flash drive will result in a write to update the
access times of the file(s).

--- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I did that but it still gave the error of read only
>
> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>
> > After it mounts, see where it's mounted and change
> > the perms on the
> > directory AFTER it's mounted.
> >
> > anthonyriga wrote:
> >
> > >I was working on someones win 98 box and they
> > needed
> > >files copied over to another pc there were no
> > network
> > >connections or floppys. I booted knoppix live cd
> > 3.8.1
> > >with dell usb thumb drive and it was reconized by
> > >knoppix. When trying to copying the files off their
> > >windows drive to the usb it would not let me I was
> > >getting error saying read only. How do I make the
> > ubs
> > >drives to be write. On the desktop there was icon
> > and
> > >its said usb(uba1). any suggestions?

> > >Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
> > >http://mail.yahoo.com

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Dave J. Andruczyk