Source Based Distro's

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Mon Sep 26 07:25:43 EDT 2005

Comparing Gentoo and LFS: As far as I can tell they are pretty similar
speed-wise. the best thing about installing LFS is what I learned from it.
The order in which things needed to be installed, finding patches and
fixes, etc. I did spend a lot of time however, just getting simple things
to work. Like 3d Acceleration. and I still haven't gotten Java properly
installed on it. I was on message boards and mailing lists alot. Gentoo
and some of the other source-distros (i've only used Gentoo) is probably
the closest you will get
to rolling-your-own Linux without the grunt work of hunting down patches
and security fixes.

-JoshJ
http://lotuseaters.no-ip.com