Source Based Distro's.

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 22:17:25 EDT 2005

--- mihakriket Steffens <mihakriket at msn.com> wrote:

> Hi All. I have tried many disto's and I keeping hearing alot about the
> source based distro's. As far as getting better performance or installing
> only what you want. I have never tried but have seen articles on these
> distro's. I was wondering if anybody can recommend a souce based distro?
>
> Thank you,
> Harry

Gentoo has worked very well for me.  Been using it for close to 3 years now..
(The longest I've run ANY one linux distro before I got fed up with it and
switched).  My primary machine (down cause it's still in boxes) has never been
reinstalled,  just kept up to date (weekly or so).

The initial installation took the longest of any distro, but I wouldn't label
it as difficult. Just read the gentoo handbook and be prepared to get your
hands a little dirty.

Updating the system has been a breeze( "emerge sync; emerge world -uD"), and
I've only ran into minor issues (mainly due to me not reading the documentation
nad doing something to mess up the system)  The gentoo forums are very good for
solving the little issues that can creep up (esp if you fail to keep the
machine reasonable up to date. (at least do it monthly at the very least))

Dave J. Andruczyk