Laptops

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Sep 16 10:27:07 EDT 2005

I think one of the most important things to look for in a laptop or any
pc/motherboard that is often overlooked is the BIOS. I have spent plenty
of time working around really bad simplistic BIOS. IMHO if it has a
phoenix BIOS, RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK ;). Laptops and cheap pc's seem to
be the worst at this. I have been able to put boot options in to
workaround these things but it can be a real pain and time consumer to
figure out what's what. I had an HP laptop in here once (they should
just stick to printers) that almost got punted because of such a crap
BIOS. But I did not punt it and worked on it for about 4 hours figuring
out what PCI IRQ's to isolate, etc. and finally came up with the right
formula and then it worked beautiful, onboard ati chipset modem and all!
So now when people bring there laptops or cheap pc's in, BIOS is the
first thing I look at.