Thunderbird and default browser

pirrone at localnet.com pirrone at localnet.com
Thu Sep 15 10:52:36 EDT 2005

  Quoting Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com>:

> In Gnome it's in your preferences, preferred applications. Sounds
> like your using KDE, maybe some of the KDE guys can help you with
> that.
>
> Eric Benoit wrote:
>
>> I no this is silly, but it's annoying:  While I am in Thunderbird
>> and I click on a link the default browser konqueror pops up, so I
>> removed konq. now Epiphany pops up ...I really don't want to spend

>> too much time figuring this out does anyone know how to set the
>> defualt browser to something like Firefox while using Thunderbird?

Eric,

  You sound stressed today, so despite the fact that I'm at school,
sitting at a Windows machine since I'm not in my office where the
nurturing warmth of Linux is available, here's a pratial answer.  In
both Firefox and Thuinderbird directories there are preference files
- prefs.js I believe where you can set, ahhh preferences.  One would
be the default browser that opens from links in e-mail and the other
the devault mail client that opens from mailto links on Web pages.
You can create a user.js file with nothing but the reference to these
defaults I believe and it will be read along with the prefs.js on
program startup, but you can put the statement directly in the
existing file.

  For Firefox:

  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
"/usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird");  For Thunderbird

  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp","/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https","/usr/bin/firefox");

  Setting the path to your machine, of course...

  Frank