what distro to use

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sat Sep 3 15:02:45 EDT 2005

I'm considering giving it a whirl... Vector's latest release even has the
"not-included-anymore" Enlightenment desktop which I fell in love with
"back in the day".

Slackware is supposedly not going to include Gnome with later releases, so
it's getting kind of disturbing... seems there is no longer "Linux is
Linux, with minor differences between distro's" and becoming an all out
distro war.   In my opinion here, it seems to me Fedora/RedHat are
definitely coming out on top. Most places I've looked at for potential new
employment all are RedHat ES/AS shops, with some Sun/Solaris servers.  Few
seem to run other distro's and even *BSD is seen less and less.  RedHat is
showing signs if fading out KDE, Slackware's removing Gnome, and little by
little... users new to Linux won't see much of a variety unless they have
the time to try installing multiple different distributions to see what
they like. I remember having a choice between FreeWM, IceWM, Blackbox,
Enlightenment, Gnome _and_ KDE, (among the others I probably missed) in
one distro...

I just downloaded Gentoo's latest CD release, and probably within the week
am going to see what it has to offer.  It's piqued my interest the most
with their quotes of being able to pick what you want... my idea of a
perfect Linux/OSS based distro: give ppl a choice.

I could go on, but, I think I'll end now before I find something else to
rant about ;)

</soapbox>

  - Tony

--