[nflug] pulling computer name from network

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 18:29:35 EST 2005

--- Richard Hubbard <rhubby at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Roger that.  It was early this morning when when I
> answered.
>
> I think my work network goes by a reservation system,
> because if I swap hard drives, it will get the same ip
> and the same name, no matter what os i bring up.

Not exactly,  DHCP goes by MAC address (network card)  if the lease isn't
expired you get the same addy every time. IF your computer is off long enough
for the lease to expire, then you are more likely to get another address.
Some places are setup with insanely long lease times (365 days)

Dave J. Andruczyk