[nflug] pulling computer name from network

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sun Oct 30 01:22:32 EDT 2005

My Fedora Core 4 box isn't running at the moment, but everything and
anything configuration related, especially in just about any distro is
in the /etc directory.  In Slackware, along with a good many unix
flavored systems, there's a file named /etc/HOSTNAME.  In Fedora and
RedHat however, I believe you can find that info in /etc/sysconfig.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) even behind my Linksys firewalls, I
always set my linux boxes up with static IP's (usually
192.168.1.0-192.168.1.100 are reserved for non-DHCP).  I would try using
the 'grep' command to locate a file within that directory related to the
hostname... From within the /etc/sysconfig dir, for example:  grep -ir
"hostname" *

I wish I could help further...

  - Tony