[nflug] yum upgrade kernel

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Oct 25 12:36:51 EDT 2005

"yum install kernel" will get the latest. Here is a neat little trick
that Richard Hubbard could have used when he was having kernel version
issues. You should also get the kernel-devel package for when you want
to compile stuff and to make sure you get the kernel-devel package for
your running kernel, because it might not be the same version, you can
do either "yum install kernel-devel-$`uname -r`" (those are back ticks)
or "yum install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)", both should get the correct
kernel-devel package for your running kernel. That is a very handy
little trick to get any package that is relevant to the kernel.