[nflug] Building A Linux Box

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Fri Oct 21 14:42:18 EDT 2005

Chris Crawford wrote:

> I would like to build a machine that would run Debian.  I have never
> put together my own machine before, much less try to build one that
> would support Linux reasonably well.
>
> My main goals for putting together my own machine include a desire
> learn more about how computers work at the hardware level, a desire to
> learn how Linux works together with hardware, and the satisfaction of
> having put together my own machine.
>
> Does anyone have advice that would help me to avoid the pitfalls of
> building a machine that supports Linux (specifically Debian)?
>
> Are there any useful resources I should check out that will help me
> learn more about computer hardware and building my own machine?
>

> Thanks,
>

> --Chris

Make sure you put the CPU fan on the correct way, and don't forget to
plug it into the motherboard before you turn it on. Check the jumpers on
the hard drives. Check the BIOS before booting any o/s. Do some research
on the hardware you have to see if anyone has had problems in Linux with
it. If you'd like help, I or I'm sure anyone would else would be happy
to oversee you, or give you advice on what hardware to buy. Good luck!
--
Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source