[nflug] Formatting FAT32 partitions

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 13:22:11 EDT 2005

There is a 'hard limit' on FAT 32, which is arrived at
from how FAT works.

There is a table containing the addresses of each 4096
byte cylinder in the hard drive.  The table has a 32
bit number which allows for 4,294,967,296 cylinders
that can be addressed.  multiply that by the size of
the cylinders (4096 bytes) and you get a maximum size
of 17,592,186,044,416 bytes, or 17,600 GB is the
maximum size of the hard drive that can be formatted.
The windows formatter probably has the limit of 40gb
due to dumb programming.

having said that, I have to agree with the earlier
posts that for any large hard drive, you really want
journalling. Reiser, ext3 and NTFS all have
journalling which will cut down on the number of times
your drive needs to be scanned due to errors.