[nflug] Formatting FAT32 partitions

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa at acm.org
Fri Oct 21 00:14:57 EDT 2005

Can Linux/BSD format FAT32 partitions that are about 250GB? It turns out
that neither Win2000 nor WinXP can do it (by design).

An even funnier thing, I don't seem to be able to create files larger than
4GB on this pre-formatted external Drive.

I am thinking about formating it using ext3 or UFS and then making it
available locally to windows using NFS or Samba. Does anyone have
experience doing a similar thing? What file system is best for such
partitions? (250GB USB HDD). Portability is certainly a concern, so even
if WinBlah doesn't support it, I'd like that at least Linux, FreeBSD, and
OSX be able to support it.

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Lecturer, Computer Science Department
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, L2S 3A1
Office: MC J215
Tel:    +1(905)688-5550 ext. 5243
Fax:    +1(905)688-3255
Email:  taa at acm.org