[nflug] Question about a process accessing my cdrom

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 13:10:51 EDT 2005

I know I asked this before but I can't seem to find any of my previosu
postings.

My dvdburner is /dev/hdc and it seems that when I use it (not sure if using it
to burn or mounting it to read data is the culprit) it decided to keep getting
accessed.  The drive works in all ways in my apps, but when I open it or type
"eject cdrom" the tray opens and immediately slides closed.  I have to be quick
popping in those DVD's!

In dmesg I have a continuous stream of "cdrom:open failed" messages.  An fuser
/dev/hdc, fuser /media/cdrom, fuser /dev/cdrom etc shows nothing.

Some ideas on how to find what is trying to open or close the cdrom would be
helpful.  I disabled automount from the Gnome control panel and am using Debian
testing 2.6.X kernel (with udev).

I had this before and I believe only restarting was my option then.  I'm hoping
to find a better way?  I'm assuming someone will ask what is in ps -ef but I am
not at machine at the time, so please let me know what specifically may help.

JJN