good linux mobo advice

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Oct 12 11:23:25 EDT 2005

You can still use a 64bit processor, and install a 32bit OS.  The beauty
behind AMD's 64bit instruction set is that it's backwards compatible. As
64bit software support improves, you will already have a system ready
to migrate to a 64bit OS environment.

I upgraded to an AMD64 system that runs Fedora Core 3 (32bit).  The system
is fast, and with the AMD cool-n-Quiet technology, the cpu runs around
31-35 Celsius.

-Rob

> What is a good amd x86 processor to get that does
> hyperthreading like intels? Or someting comparable?  I
> will just stick to x86. Thanks!
>

> --- wpos2 at adelphia.net wrote:
>
> >  If you're planning to run a RPM based 64-bit Linux,
> > then get ready for some RPM hell, especially if you
> > want to install anything other than what comes with
> > your distro.  And good luck trying to get the Flash
> > plugin to work.
> >
> > Otherwise, be prepared to enjoy the speed.  A unit
> > of SETI at Home for me takes about 2 hours, compared
> > to about 12 on my P3 laptop.
> >
> > I went with an Abit motherboard.  Of course I don't
> > have any programs under Linux to tweak the settings
> > (i.e. overclock) that came from the factory.  I'm
> > sure there are programs out there, but refer to
> > Paragraph 1 of my reply.  So far, aside from a
> > problem in the boot process when Linux is detecting
> > the sound card and crashes, it's been a solid
> > system.
> >
> > ---- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I am thinking about putting together new pc. What
> > are
> > > the risks using any of the 64bit processors with
> > > linux?Any bugs? What mobo do you suggest? MSI
> > ,Tyan,
> > > Intel etc..? Just need a good place to start.
> > Thanks!
> > >

> > > __________________________________
> > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
> > > Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
> > > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Dege

As seen on bash.org:
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there
should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't
we just take the safety labels off of everything and let
the problem solve itself?