Automating reports

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Tue Oct 4 15:27:22 EDT 2005

Here's something I dug up with google entitled "A quick wget tip":

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/fintanr/20050113

<BEGIN>

A wget tip, or maybe not. I was working on a script today that had to
do a submission of a very long parameter string to a cgi script, and it
turned out to be too long for a get. So I went off and visited the wget
manpages (man -M /usr/sfw/man wget). And here I noted the --post-data
option which I hadn't been aware off before. A quick example is in order
I think.

Lets say you are doing a submission to a url with a submission string
of:

http://foo.com/cgi/myScript?really_long_set_of options

Rather than doing:

wget http://foo.com/cgi/myScript?really_long_set_of_options

You can do:

wget --post-data 'really_long_set_of_options'
http://foo.com/cgi/myScript

<END>

HTH

-Dan

>>> linux478 at yahoo.com 10/04/05 3:03 PM >>>
wget complains that the filename is too long