Fedora: scsi cdrom drives me crazy

Scott Fleming nflug at afourthdimension.com
Mon Oct 3 12:52:33 EDT 2005

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

SCSI termination is correct - all drives are recognized after I run
modprobe in /etc/rc.local

cat /proc/scsi/scsi:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM-PCCO Model: DDRS-34560W   !# Rev: S97B
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM-PCCO Model: DDRS-34560W   !# Rev: S97B
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM-PCCO Model: DDRS-34560W   !# Rev: S97B
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: CDRM00203     !K Rev: BZ26
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MDI      Model: LaserBank 1300D  Rev: 1027
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEXEL    Model: CD-ROM DM-XX28   Rev: 3.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I can manually mount drives 1-4. Drives 5,6,7 report an error, stating
unknown device. Yet, they're recognized in the above.

I'm looking to be able to see them listed in the disk management tool,
which they aren't when FC boots.

Perhaps I'm running modprobe at the wrong point in the boot sequence?
Currently, I have it running in the etc/rc.local file: (should the be
done somewhere else?)

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

# load the scsi card driver
modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,10,7

#mount the dumb-ass cdroms
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd2 /mnt/scd2
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd3 /mnt/scd3
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd4 /mnt/scd4
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd5 /mnt/scd5
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd6 /mnt/scd6
mount -t is09660 -r /dev/scd7 /mnt/scd7

The drives are not mounting.

Help!

After booting, here's what 'df' shows:

/dev/sda1              4332624   2399924   1712612  59% /
/dev/hda1               101086      8583     87284   9% /boot
none                    192820         0    192820   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc               4337644   1644340   2472960  40% /mnt/sdc

My system consists of an aha-1520 controller for the 7 scsi cdrom
drives. I also have an AAA-131 raid controller running 3 9gb scsi hard
drives on u2 bus, on the narrow bus is a scsi cdrom drive (/dev/sdc).

Thank you - hope this sheds more light onto the troubleshooting tasks.

Scott