dual boots

peter peter at thecybersource.com
Fri May 25 12:54:51 EDT 2007

Hello all,
  I just thought I would pass this along in case some of you are wondering how to get a dual boot system going with WindowsX and Linux and not have to use the scenarios given.
  In this case, I installed Windows Millennium and Linux RedHat 7.0 on the same hard drive.
1. Fdisk the drive into 2 partitions, this case was a 20gb split down the middle.
2. Install Windows Millennium on the first partition c: (enabled as boot)
3. Started Linux RedHat 7.0 install as custom, deleted 2nd partition and then partitioned as such;
logical (l) 5th partition as Linux Swap of 64M
logical (l) 6th partition as / root of 256M
logical (l) 7th partition as /var of 512M
logical (l) 8th partition as /usr for remainder of drive space
I did not install lilo but created a boot disk instead. Now when I want to start WindowsX, I let the computer start unattended. If I want to run Linux, I pop in the boot floppy.
Works well for me and I dont need to worry about any shared system files within other systems