[nflug] gentoo/alsa/kernel question

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 29 17:40:59 EST 2005

Hello all,

After shuffling some hard drives around here, any drive that has M$ on
it (2 of 6 at the moment) is at least dual-booted against in inevitable
(sooner or later) complete M$MalFunction. So that's nice, comforting
anyway.

My most recent effort is this gentoo/2k dualboot (only my second
successful gentoo (with working X, etc) after more attempts than I care
to remember), where my old mozilla mailbox has migrated after making the
tour here and failing to work effectively on various machines.

Everything seems to work beautifully at the moment, so I am hoping to
get some advice before I screw things up completely and have to start
the gentoo installation all over again.

I would like to have alsa on this machine, and have used genkernel in
the install which apparently has all sorts of alsa stuff in it, but
needs to be recompiled to turn it all on. I did that, and everything
appears to have gone well, except for some cryptic comments tacked on
here and there that I can't quite figure out.

At the end of # genkernel --menuconfig all, I get this:

* Kernel compiled successfully!
*
* Required Kernel Parameters:
*     real_root=/dev/$ROOT
*
*     Where $ROOT is the device node for your root partition as the
*     one specified in /etc/fstab
*
* If you require Genkernel's hardware detection features; you MUST
* tell your bootloader to use the provided INITRAMFS file. Otherwise;
* substitute the root argument for the real_root argument if you are
* not planning to use the initrd...

Then, the gentoo alsa documentation says this:

Now that your options are set, you can (re)compile the kernel and ALSA
support for your card should be functional once you reboot into the new
kernel. Don't forget to update your GRUB configuration to use the newly
built kernel. You can now proceed to ALSA Utilities and see if
everything is working as it should.

Can anyone tell me what grub.conf should look like to use the new
kernel, initramfs, etc?

Thanks in advance.

btw, grub.conf looks like this at the moment:

default 0

timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.14-r2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
initd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2

title=win2k
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1