[nflug] ghosting dual boots and grub

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Nov 22 20:27:14 EST 2005

Eric Benoit wrote:

> I'm trying to ghost disk to disk a dual boot of debian and WinXP
> ...the first ghost worked great
> now none of the rest of them of the same type disks work right, GRUB
> goes into an infinit loop with the newly created disk.  So, far the
> only way I have been able to resolve this is by reinstalling Debian...
> does anyone Know why this would be happening?
>
> Thank in advance, eric

I've seen that before, you really should just have used ghost to do the
windows partition and dump or tar for the Linux stuff. My guess would be
that the mbr didnt get written properly or was deleted. I wouldn't be
suprised to see that ghost would default to erasing the mbr knowing that
windows can boot with a blank one. Before you give up, take one of the
drives that finished ghosting and boot it with a Linux rescue cd,
preferably the same version and distro that you have on the drive, then
mount the Linux side and reinstall grub to the mbr (master boot record),
"grub-install /dev/hda" assuming you are working with an ide drive as
master on the first channel. If you hadn't changed the drive layout,
etc., it should read as it was and all should be ok. Let me know how it
makes out.