[nflug] any meetings? (fwd)

Mark Robson markrobson at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 21:17:07 EST 2005

I stand with Josh on this.  I am no sysadmin.  Just a geek-wannabe with a strong libertarian affection for open source.  I have a busy life with a financial services practice, three teenagers, and three or four avocations including computing.  If I could plan ahead on a meeting, great, I'd come.  If I could know that a limited-user (unspoken pun intended) wouldn't feel intimidated by the command-line guerrillas, even better.

  Meantime, I'd recommend making connection with a teaching/evangelizing outlet like the community continuing ed. systems, or ECC, to breathe new life into the organization.   Meet some newbies, win some friends and influence some people.  Somewhere out there is the future leadership.  They just don't know it yet.

  I love how Bob signs off - so here you go -

  "Cheers"

Joshua Ronne Altemoos <joshua at wolfnix.net> wrote:
  I ask everymonth if there is a meeting ETC and everyone ignores my emails
and then a week ebore the meeting pop up with topics on it. It is annoying

Josh

wrote:
>>nflug mailing list
>>nflug at nflug.org
>>

> Hello Nora,
> Since your new, let me bring you up to speed a little. Yes our lug lacks
> in a few areas but you will find many extremely knowledgeable people on
> this list who will be more than happy to help you no matter what level
> of Linux or computing help you need. And if I may speak for the group,
> we are more than happy to hear ideas on better meeting places, forums,
> whatever. However, we need to have more than just talk. Ron's "wait and
> see" policy is his usual stance and as typical with that attitude, he
> has contributed as much.
>
> <----------------------------------snip-------------------------->\
> Hello all.
> Hi Peter, For your and others information, I took part from the vary
> beginning when this group first started. So you have the opinion that I
> have a "typical attitude" You and others that became members latter on
> do not know the whole picture, so please don't exclude me cause you have
> a different idea in your mind about the LUG.
>
> At an average meeting early in the LUG history, we had 30 to 40 or more
> show up not bad for a somewhat dead city. You can say all the comments
> you wish, but the facts show that the current membership have not done
> any better. I am more then willing to participate to help out in
> whatever way I can, but more importantly be there to learn Linux. Till
> the group evolves into something better then what it is, my typical
> attitude is a valid opinoin.
>
> Thank you, Ron Maggio
>

> Everyone talks about coming to the meetings and
> few show, it can be disappointing to those that have arranged it. Frank
> and myself have opened our homes to the meetings in an effort to keep
> the meetings going when our usual meeting place(s) were being moved
> around, etc.. I have seen Bob repeatedly ask the group, who plans on
> coming and what topics are of interest, only to see Josh and maybe 1
> other respond. So, my point is this... From a new persons view, I can
> completely understand your questions and I too would love to see a more
> structured LUG with regular meetings after all, we all LOVE Linux right!
> However, for things to change, we really need someone with the time and
> ambition to spearhead things and get things going properly. If we all
> take the "wait and see" approach, things will never change. I am also
> not trying to usurp Bob but he keeps asking for help, so those that can,
> should.

Mark Robson