[nflug] Another reason to not use M$ products...

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 18:50:29 EST 2005

He has a bit of a point though.  I've been trying to get a legally purchased CD
to play on any PC Linux or Windows - without installing software from the CD.
I cannot play a Shakira CD I bought on my PC at all.  It either requires a
Windows only software install or an old analog only CD player (I can play it on
the car stereo or an old player in my basement!).

In order to prevent copying the CD will not play on a Digital player and I
assumed it would be easy to get around this being a Linux user, but I
eventually gave up and got the same songs from another source - the songs I
legally purchased and wished to have on my mp3player!

So it is a Digital Rights issue as the OS in question made no difference on
whether this CD woudl play or not.  Linux will not detect it as a readable CD
in any way,.  The format has been purposely corrupted and so they can not have
the CD image on the case or cd since it is not in a correct CD format.

Oh well

I'll keep looking for an easy way to play these CDs on a PC, but it won't
change until the users make enough of an impact.  AS long as CDs continue to
sell well it won't matter what we think.

!!