[nflug] RE: How to span partition/slices in FreeBSD

Ron Maggio ronmaggio2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 07:32:33 EST 2005

Hi, all.

I would like some input/advice. I'm going to install FreeBSD 4.10 stable.
Here is some background info, I have a system with two SCSI controllers and a total of seven hdd's. One set of drives is in the box, and another is in a sperate drive tower. The total is 25 gigs worth of unformatted space.

This is my problem, of how to span a number of drives to spread out a partition/slice. From what I believe to understand it cannot be done during installation. Instead, I would pick which drives to set /, /swap, /user, /var, and if I want /home on, and leave the rest as unallocated drive space to later make stripe sets of /user, and /home, through the use of a program called vinum, allowing me enlarging their size through this feature.

I could even add a partition/slice /temp, /storage, and so on if wanted, and be able to build stripe sets as needed to enlarge a partition/slice of any given type. So from what I understand so far is, that this task is done after the installation. If I'm correct please let me know that I surmised right, since the books and other online info don't state it. I've been online but have not been able to track down the correct needed information.

Also onto a different subject, I'm looking for a SCSI CD-R RW 50 pin that can be set to ID #6 so it is compatible with my system. It must be in good working order, and be able to record at good clip!

Thanks, Ron:)