firefox vs. IE for updates

green_man green_man at bluefrog.biz
Wed May 18 21:45:19 EDT 2005

Eric R. Benoit wrote, On 05/18/05 2:17 PM:

> Actually to make a long story short our school still runs win98se we
> don't have the money to upgrade and moving to linux is a bit tricky
> right now ...as I type this from my FC3 machine.
> Thanks for the help
>
> Greg Neumann wrote:
>
>> Eric R. Benoit wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to use some kind of vb script (or
>>> if one exists) with firefox to use firefox instead of IE for
>>> updating a Windows 98se OS?
>>>

>> I don't know how well it works, but Firefox has an extension called
>> "Windowsupdate". I haven't tried it for Win98. Is Win98 even
>> supported by M$ anymore? (another good reason to switch to Linux ...
>> as I type this on WinXP! ;-) )
>> -Greg

There's a browser called "Advanced Browser"
http://www.advancedbrowser.com/ for windows that I have used. It's a
freeware download that uses the IE5.5 core, but gives you FF-like
control [pop ups, java, *Activex*, tabbed browsing, grouping, etc]  you
might try that one. I love the warning that says " you currently have
Activex scripts disabled so this page may not work properly." Most that
I visit do work though.
A review and description is here:

http://www.download.com/Advanced-Browser/3000-2356_4-10279150.html

I have tried Firefox, Moz, Netscape and Opera all without success to
update my 98 SE.
Of course I never registered it either. ;-)

I export all my bookmarks to bookmarks_common.html so I have the same
ones for each browser. If you get the Preferential extension, you can
change the path to the bookmarks file, rather than linking to it. That
way when I run a live linux CD, I have them in whatever flavor of the
Gecko it uses.
I also copy history.dat in to my profile.

--
The sole purpose of my life is, apparently, to test my sanity.

Scott
Netscape 7.0 Mail

--
This outgoing message is certified Virus Free.