firefox vs. IE for updates

Greg Neumann DadNeumann at verizon.net
Wed May 18 15:02:04 EDT 2005

Eric R. Benoit wrote:

> Actually to make a long story short our school still runs win98se we
> don't have the money to upgrade and moving to linux is a bit tricky
> right now ...as I type this from my FC3 machine.
> Thanks for the help
>
> Greg Neumann wrote:
>
>> Eric R. Benoit wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to use some kind of vb script (or
>>> if one exists) with firefox to use firefox instead of IE for
>>> updating a Windows 98se OS?
>>>

>> I don't know how well it works, but Firefox has an extension called
>> "Windowsupdate". I haven't tried it for Win98. Is Win98 even
>> supported by M$ anymore? (another good reason to switch to Linux ...
>> as I type this on WinXP! ;-) )
>> -Greg

Yeah, it always it tricky. And I'll bet the hardware doesn't have the
"moxie" to run XP and any reasonable program at the same time. :-(
Too bad you couldn't migrate to Linux and OO.o over the summer. Did you
give that extension a try? Why won't IE work for you? I know it's bad,
but it may be your best option.
-Greg