ssh hang issue

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 21:07:49 EDT 2005

--- Dennis Ruzeski <dennisr at corp.kanoodle.com> wrote:
> I have ssh set up with authorized keys (no password required.)

> debug1: Offering public key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa
>
> debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
>

> It'll sit like that for a good 3-4 minutes and then complete ok.

One idea is that it sounds like DNS is misconfigured. (or more correctly
reverse DNS), the server you're SSH'ing into is doing a reverse lookup of the
IP that connected to it and it isn't in your DNS and it sits there patiently
waiting for it, probably retrying several times before just giving up and
assuming all is OK.

> Anybody see this before?

Yup, check your DNS.  from the server do an "nslookup ip_of_client_connecting"
and see if it returns or hangs,  if it hangs  it'll cause SSH to hang.  There
may be an SSH option in /etc/ssh or /etc/sshd to turn off reverse DNS lookups.
(depends on ssh version and distro)

Dave J. Andruczyk

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/