Smbmount / Tar --> possible option

Daniel Villarreal dvmail at texas.net
Tue Mar 8 09:13:50 EST 2005

Since if you use MS Windows you can't be too concerned about uptime...

Why not boot up with Knoppix (http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) and scp the whole Windows setup to a Linux box.

If you use a Red-Hat type OS, like CentOS (http://centos.org/), you can get NTFS modules at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html

something like, depending on setup on your other computer...

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.x
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

scp -c blowfish /mnt/cdrive root at 192.168.0.x:/home/storage/win

- or -

Go get WinSCP and just SFTP to a Linux box...
http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/index.php

WinSCP is an open source SFTP client for Windows  using SSH.

have fun,
Daniel