Smbmount / Tar

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Mar 8 09:13:01 EST 2005

Justin Bennett wrote:

> Following Pete's recommendation on backing up files from windows, I'm
> using tar off of a smbmount file share, I'm getting file changed as we
> read it errors during the tar, it's always the same files, and in
> windows they haven't changed. I did some googleing and found that this
> is an issue with windows reporting the timestamp and that the file
> should be ok. Can anyone confirm they've see this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Justin

Are these system files your having the trouble with? I have seen tar
complain about time stamps but usually it's an ACL thing. Are the times
between your windows box and Linux box the same?
I don't have the same situation (thankfully). I have a Linux server
acting as a PDC and I wanted to backup the samba shares. So I had an
older box with a scsi backplane that was too old for anything other than
a role as a backup server, which I put into place last night and have
the PDC NFS export the directories I want to backup. The backup server
mounts the NFS exports and tars them up nightly to another drive on the
backup server, here is a snippet of my one week tolerance from cron,
#Backup Act Databases on Monday
00 4 * * 1 tar -czpf /disk1/Monday/act.tar.gz /bmhserver/public/Act
#Backup Act Databases on Tuesday
00 4 * * 1 tar -czpf /disk1/Tuesday/act.tar.gz /bmhserver/public/Act
#Backup Act Databases on Wednesday
00 4 * * 1 tar -czpf /disk1/Wednesday/act.tar.gz /bmhserver/public/Act
#Backup Act Databases on Thursday
00 4 * * 1 tar -czpf /disk1/Thursday/act.tar.gz /bmhserver/public/Act
#Backup Act Databases on Friday
00 4 * * 1 tar -czpf /disk1/Friday/act.tar.gz /bmhserver/public/Act
#Backup Act Databases on Saturday
00 4 * * 1 tar -czpf /disk1/Saturday/act.tar.gz /bmhserver/public/Act

I just really don't like tapes and this works for me ;).

--
cybersource.us
115 Richfield Road