Buffalo Professional Linux Users Group Meeting

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Mon Mar 21 13:50:31 EST 2005

Buffalo Professional Linux Users Group Meeting

Date: Thursday, March 31st 6:00pm-9:00pm

Location:

      The PCA Group

      Airport Commerce Park

      455 Cayuga Road, Suite 200

Topic:

      Linux System Monitoring: How to monitor Linux servers and non-Linux
servers using Open Source tools to ensure reliability.

Agenda:

6:00pm-7:00pm Overview of monitoring concepts and tools

      Concepts:

            Service monitoring

            Process monitoring

            Passive checks

            Active checks

            Dependencies

            Monitoring agents

            Downtime

            Performance data

            Check frequency

            Alerting

            Notifications

            Reporting

            Remote Monitoring

      Tools:

            Big Brother

            Big Sister

            SPONG

            Nagios

            Mon

            mrtg

            rrdtool

7:15pm-8:00pm

      Case Studies/Presentations:

            Dennis Ruzeski, Kanoodle

            Phil Seibel, Synacor

8:15pm-9:00pm

      Advanced Topics:

            Redundant/Distributed monitoring

            Integration with network/IDS monitoring

            Prediction

            Abnormal behavior detection

            Data Warehousing

            Trend/Forecasting

            Cross Correlation

Because this is a new location, an RSVP is appreciated to ensure enough
seating. please send an email to rsvp at bplug.org

The Buffalo Professional Linux Users Group is focused on the use of Linux
and Open Source in professional business environments. We have organized
presentations and seminars, and bring up topics that are of interest to
people that use or would like to use Linux as part of a corporate solution
set. We disseminate practical information and proven solutions from IT
professionals who have successfully tackled a wide range of enterprise Linux
deployment challenges. It's a rare opportunity to benefit from the
experience and insight of peers from companies that are both local and
national.