DVD Authoring

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 20:00:54 EDT 2005

--- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What apps are people here using in Linux to backup their legally purchased
> DVD's?

dvdbackup, tovid, lxdvdrip.  Use google to get their exact homepages, as I
don't have them handy at the moment...

> I have researched tons of apps for burning, requanting (real word - eh who
> knows), and burning.  So far I'm hooked on K3B for burning but want to do
> everything from CLI. So growisofs it is. (or dvdrecord - you see how quickly
> this gets confusing)
>
> I am using dvdbackup to rip, mkisofs to create and k3b to burn , but I'm
> having
> trouble finding a good resizing app that is easy to use (yes tcrequant is OK
> but I want something anyone can use, without having to do math :-)

tovid is good for resizing or translating AVI's (or anything mplayer can play)
into DVD or VCD/SVCD compliant formats. tcrequant can be used to shrink an
already compliant file to make it fit on DVD.  The math isn't so hard once you
do it a couple of times.   The tcscan utility from the transcode suite can help
as well as it gives info on the files. (there are several other useful
utilities in that package)  Tovid comes with "dvrequant" which is pretty simple
for requantitizing files  (shrinking) if you don't like tcrequant.

> Then once I understand the different permutations of ripping, resizing (for
> files larger than 4464MB) and burning I wonder if there is one GUI that
> handles
> all this.

Donno of any gui's that do it all,  I usually use various tools based on the
DVD  type encountered.

Dave J. Andruczyk