channel bonding

David Purucker purucker at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:52:37 EDT 2005

>Im trying to get my Linux box with 2 NIC to channe bond. I've read most of
>the websites
>on it but im still having some trouble making it work.
>I know there is a command ifenslave <master> <slave1>. Anyone know how to
>use this command >for bonding 2 nic cards?
>Any suggestions?

Read the man page.    :-)    See excerpt below:

The kernel must have support for bonding devices for ifenslave to be useful.

DESCRIPTION
     ifenslave is a tool to attach and detach slave network devices to a
bond-
     ing device.  A bonding device will act like a normal Ethernet network
     device to the kernel, but will send out the packets via the slave
devices
     using a simple round-robin scheduler.  This allows for simple load-bal-
     ancing, identical to "channel bonding" or "trunking" techniques used in
     switches.

EXAMPLE
     The following example shows how to setup a bonding device and enslave
two
     real Ethernet devices to it:

     # modprobe bonding
     # ifconfig bond0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
     # ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1

AUTHOR
     ifenslave was originally written by Donald Becker
     <becker at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov>, and has since been updated by various
ker-
     nel developers.

I hope that was informative, good luck.