linux in the classroom

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jun 7 11:05:32 EDT 2005

Ok, I gotta jump in.
 I like what your trying to do but I think your approach is wrong. If
your focus is going to be applications in an emulator be it wine,
vmware, etc., your already starting out in second position, because the
killing question is going to be "why are we doing this?"
 They may be able to save some money, etc. but I myself have had
resounding success with Linux conversion focusing on security and stability.
 The most volatile thing a windows pc user will face is the internet,
and there are already superior NATIVE apps that run in Linux like
FireFox, Thunderbird, GAIM, etc..
 I just checked the latest wine app called Point2Play for a client of
mine that wants to run his windows games but not windows. Still the same
goofy wine crap. Wine has embarrassed me many times ;). A windows app,
whatever it is, will never run as good in wine as it will in windows,
then that "why?" question will come up again.
 Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to step on any
toes. I love to see guys doing what your doing, I just want us all to
use our collective experiences to see that when someone like yourself
does this, it's successfull and IMHO, focusing on windows apps in an
emulator is by far not the best way to get Linux in the door. Windows
people often get clouded by the myriad of apps and tend to loose focus
on what there doing, I see this everyday.
 Linux apps come out everyday and they are getting better and better
all the time. If they should need a windows app for something, vmware is
the best that I've seen, I have entire corporations running Linux
desktops for all there internet, email, office stuff and vmware windows
for whatever windows only app they need. It's been a slow hard struggle
but not only has it gotten easier (as far as there acceptance) but it's
continuing to snowball.
 Good Luck and if you need any help along the way, I'd be happy to help.