Mount Windoze Shares and AD

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 07:36:50 EDT 2005

windoze should authenticate with ntlm rather than
kerberos if it thinks you are a windoze box.  so the
smbmount command should work...

however, there may be 'security settings' on the
windoze boxes that are not accepting older ntlm
authentications.

which means you will have to convince the 2k/2k3 boxes
that you are 'just another 2k/2k3' server. I haven't
done this yet, but the newer samba documentation seems
to say how to do this...

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ServerType.html#id2540088
is the official howto to get this to work.

It will be very helpful if your *nix boxes can be
'added to the windoze domain', this will make
authentication easier.

good luck.

(as the howto states, don't worry about what 'mode'
the ad domain is in.  mixed/native/w2k3 modes only are
worried about the _domain controllers_, they couldn't
care about any of the other machines in the domain.)