arghhhh Re: mounting ntfs hard drive hdb

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Jul 4 22:16:48 EDT 2005

I would check out that SF website for some detail about NTFS on Linux. I
haven't read much up on Debian 'Sarge' yet, but it has piqued my
interest since it's fairly up to date with the 2.6.x kernel and other
stuff it includes.

However, it sounds like Debian's stock kernel which you have installed
does not have 'write' support enabled.  I know when I recently
recompiled two fresh kernels from kernel.org (2.6.11.10 & 2.6.12.2) that
the kernel had the ability to enable NTFS support, but it also had a
sub-component to enable write support on it.  You can search google, or
Debian's site for enabling write support (I know Fedora & RedHat have an
RPM available to add a write-enabled module).  Otherwise, depending on
your willingness to experiment, try recompiling your kernel with the
NTFS write option enabled.

   - Tony