Open Office (Read only)

Robert F. Stockdale IV javabob at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 17 20:17:00 EST 2005

My wife has a word document on a floppy. If it is loaded in kword or
Abiword it loads incorrectly (formatting is all screwed up) but it loads
in Read/Write mode. If we load it in OpenOffice it loads correctly but
in Read only mode. If I copy files to a temp directory off her home
directory OO will load them r/w and then I must copy the new files back.
How can I get OO to open the files from the floppy in r/w mode so my
wife can do this all herself. She is lost at the command line and I'm
not always available to copy files for her. Other programs have no
trouble opening in rw mode from floppy. They just can't get the
formatting correct.
We're running Suse 9.1 on an HP Athlon notebook with a Teac usb external
floppy.