Asterisk hardware

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 18:52:13 EST 2005

--- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just really like to do a general setup. What
> hardware goes into the pc to let me use my Adelphia
> broadbad connection to dial out do huntgroup to my
> cell phone etc.. Something I can setup really cheap
> and just test.. Kind of like the Vonage setup. I
> thoght ther were ata connectors of some sort to use
> with analog phones too to make them digital..

Ok, to do that you just need a computer with an internet connection.  For the
phones you need a SIP phone (or a softphone for a computer, but a regular
grandstream sipphone is more reliable)

To get calls to go through to your cell without bridging to an anlog line at
your place, you'd need to sign up to a service that bridges VoIP to PBX (most
services that do this are really cheap). asterisk has several configs in it's
default setup showing this. If you want to bridge in your box you need an FXO
cards  (It's basically a reflashed voice winmodem) that'll connect to your
analog phone line and let you bridge that to VoIP,  you could get an FXS card
which PROVIDES dialtone to a regular analog phone.  FXS is for connecting an
analog phone to a VOIP server, and FXO is for connecting an Analog LINE (from
the telco) to a VoIP server.  FXS cards are a lot harder to find though.  There
are other options like devices called a "SIP Adapter", basically a little black
box with ethernet on one side and a phone line on the other that you connect an
analog phone into.  It gets configured by a web-browser (the black box)
initially.  so you an program it to associate to your asterisk server)

Ebay lists the FXO cards (known as an X100P) for about 0.99 each plus about
$12.50 in shipping (still a good deal)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk