Fun thread.

Mike Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:34:36 EST 2005

Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
> 	Quiet, so how about a fun thread? While I spend much time telling
> people how Linux is better than Windows in many (if not all) ways, I
> frequently get the response: "So what can I do in Linux that I can't do
> in Windows?". We all know there are Windows apps that lock people into
> Windows, can anyone think of some good apps for Linux that would lock
> people in?

Ehh, there are no ports of the Linux kernel to Windows yet. That alone
keeps me locked in... :)

I can't say there's any "killer app" that locks me into Linux. As far as
personal desktop OSes at work, one employer has specific guidelines
keeping me in Microsoft Land(tm), the other doesn't.

Since I build rather extensive database-driven websites, I've found that
the Linux builds of Apache, PHP and MySQL are much more stable. PHP
especially has major issues behaving on IIS (mainly relating to sessions
and accurate timestamping), enough that we're phasing out our site
license for Windows 2000 Advanced Server to install RedHat Enterprise
Linux ES.

--
Mike