Raw printing

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Sat Feb 19 17:00:51 EST 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 05:38 am, Joe wrote, about Raw printing :
> I was on the web the other day on my notebook (Windoze 98SE, with no
> printer attached).
>
> I did a financial transaction on the web and printed to disk (using
> Firefox).
> I ended up with a file.prn which I assume is native encoded as HP
> printer language (The printer defined on the notebook is an HP 722C).  I
> want to print the darn thing in Windows or Linux (on my desktop, which
> has an HP 895 Cse - which should be able to handle the print file), but
> I can't figure out how to!
>
> I tried using lp -raw file.prn and got a lot of garbage.
>
> What can I try and how do I do it next time so it works easily?
>
> The notebook is not networked to the desktop.  I put the file on an
> sdram card and used sneaker net.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Joe

.prn is the default file extension on my Win98SE when I send a file to my
"virtual" printer. I think it might also be an EMF, whatever they are.
I know it stores carriage returns and line feeds for print head control.
Try opening in a plain text editor like EditPad, SciTE, Gedit, Kate, etc., not
a Word Processor like OpenOffce or AbiWord, then save it as a .txt file.

You might also be able to cat it and pipe it to something, but I'm a GUI guy
not a CLI master.
--
Scott Lawton
Kmail 1.5.4 in KDE 3.1.4