Can't Login to Fedora

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Fri Feb 18 16:29:07 EST 2005

Timothy J. Finucane wrote:
> ok, now I'm in rpm hell. I have downloaded the rpms required to
> reinstall X. I start by attempting to install
> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-1.i386.rpm which says it requires libGL.so.1. So I
> then attempt to install xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-1.i386.rpm which
> contains libGL.so.1. It won't install because it requires libX11.so.6,
> libXet.so.6, and libXxf86vm.so.1. Those three files are in the original
> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-1.i386.rpm. Each rpm requires the other.How amI
> supposed to install that?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Tim
>
> On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 12:56, John Nichel wrote:
>
>>Timothy J. Finucane wrote:
>>
>>>Ok, I have successfully gotten to a login prompt now. If you try to
>>>startx from there, it has the same problem as when booting in at
>>>runlevel5. When I did updates with up2date I did include the x11.org
>>>updates. Is there anyway to replace those updates with the original
>>>installs via the command line?
>>>
>>>Tim
>>>

>>If you had it enabled before performing the original up2date, you can
>>use the rollback feature.  Haven't ever tried it myself to say whether
>>it works or not, but this is the type of situation it is made for.

You are going way too far here. This sounds EXACTLY like what happens
whan you run out of hard drive space. When you are at your prompt, do
"df -lh" and see how much space you have left. If you're out, start
deleting and then go into init 5. Even if it's not, reinstalling X is
not the answer. -Jesse