gmailfs problems

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 16 00:33:06 EST 2005

Has anyone been successful in actually setting up gmailfs?
The mail part is nifty enough, but what I'm really looking for is that
gig of remote space tp play with.

Right off the bat, the gmailfs installation directions call for python
2.3, which is proving to be more of a challenge than I'd hoped.

rpm -q python gives me: python-2.2.2-82.

So I downloaded (redhat, since they were the only ones I could find and
since rh rpms have worked here before without problems)

python2.3-docs-2.3-5pydotorg.i386.rpm,
python2.3-tools-2.3-5pydotorg.i386.rpm,
python2.3-2.3-5pydotorg.i386.rpm

and tried to upgrade with rpm -Uvh *.rpm which gives me:

error: failed dependencies:
        libcrypto.so.4   is needed by python2.3-2.3-5pydotorg
        libssl.so.4   is needed by python2.3-2.3-5pydotorg

 rpm -q openssl
openssl-0.9.6i-21

Attempting to upgrade openssl gives me nothing but more problems,
conflicts, failed dependancies.

 rpm -q libcrypto
package libcrypto is not installed

An exhaustive search for those missing pieces of the puzzle has found me
nothing of any use.
I have even finally gotten aroung to installing apt (after all the
recent conversation about it here, I was itching to anyway) and trying
an "apt-get upgrade" in hopes that that might solve the problem.

Nada.

apt seems to work, though.
;-)
But now, after Bob's most recent apt vs. rpm question, I'm totally
confused.

Surely there must be a better way to go about this, before I screw this
system up more than it already is. (SuSE 8.2, btw)

And what does ".so.4" mean?  Apparenly a symlink of some sort, but to
what end I am well beyond fathoming at the moment.

Thanks,
S.