Dual nic issues...

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Thu Feb 10 17:21:41 EST 2005

I've got a temperamental old HP Netserver running slackware linux (10.1),
which has two ethernet cards in it.  One nic, eth1, has the internal IP of
192.168.1.x and a netmask of 255.255.255.0.  The second nic, eth0, is to
be the external connection w/ gateway.  For example... I have an IP of
206.x.x.4, which Class C is split in two with a netmask of
255.255.255.128, and gateway of 206.x.x.1.

I can ping ANY internal IP 192.168.1.1, or whatever... but I cannot ping
any external IP, including the gateway IP.  I've tried setting the
/etc/modules.conf to alias the module for each specific card, nothing.
I've switched ethernet cables around and switched the IP's for each card
around. The only that happens then is that the internal network becomes
unreachable. I check the kernel routing tables, and everything is fine...
ifconfig shows the correct IP and shows it as 'UP'.  However, the external
card shows about 24 packets TX and 0 for RX.  One card is a Tulip, the
other uses MII with the EEPro100 module.

Now... is there any other trouble shooting that you folks know of that can
be done on the box before I go and grab my network admin to check out our
cisco switch for a bad port, or incorrectly configured port?  I'm hoping
it's either a stupid config problem on my part, or a bad port.  Net

I have yet to tear the box apart, which is my goal tomorrow if the problem
I'm having isn't a configuration issue, but rather a hardware issue w/
either the box or the switch I have.

Thx for your thoughts, I'm running out of my own, and combined with
"senior moments"... I'm not having a whole lot of luck.

-- Tony