[nflug] RE: Burning a CD-R

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 21:51:38 EST 2005

Personally I would never give up my FC4 Linux computer, I would also never
give up my Windblows computer either if I didn't have to. My question is why
limit your capabilities if you don't have to? I have quite a few great
Windblows programs and my Linux computer has just as many if not more great
applications. Unfortunately MS and their never ending monoply has tons of
inside deals with hardware manufacturers and plenty of software "innovations"
which throw a monkey wrench into the Linux bandwagon to get Linux users
frustrated and have to make workarounds to their proprietary software and
also their inside deals to get hardware manufacturers to not offer Linux
support for their products. It would be nice to just toss the Windblows out
the window, but lets face it most of us need MS. Go to Media play, Office Max
or Circuit City and pick up a new killer game or application for Linux?
I don't dual boot, I have a Windblows XP computer and also a Fedora Core 4
computer. The XP comp I can be pretty confident that I have to reinstall XP
every 6 months to a year, my Linux computer purrs like a kitten and reliable
to keep running 24/7 365x. I bought a decent HP printer and it runs much
better on my Fedora computer using CUPS than with the XP driver that came
with it so I have it attached to my FC4 comp. On the flip side my scanner
works better with the XP driver and is tricky to set up on my Linux computer.
I also have a Wacom Tablet mouse, it can be installed on Linux (tricky) but I
would only be able to use gimp for graphics and a select few other apps. On
the XP comp the driver installs within minutes and I have PSP, Corel, gimp
for windblows and about 10 other programs which are great for graphics. I'm
getting off the subject but I don't dual boot because Windblows has to be
reinstalled every 6-12 months and it won't install until all other OS's are
removed. So Linux in dual boot gets spanked. Computers are cheap, have one
with Linux only and another with Windblows and plug the hardware and
peripherals into the comp they work best in. Why limit yourself to one OS if
you can benefit far more from having both? I will say if I had to choose one
of my computers I wouldn't have to think about it I would grab the Linux comp
because it is far more reliable and all my backups go there. I always hear
this, "I want to dump Windblows and move to Linux", I don't get it, why
choose one or the other, they both have advantages and disadvantages. You can
have your cake and eat it too...
jb