[nflug] RE: Burning a CD-R

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu Dec 22 10:03:29 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "JJ Neff" <jjneff at yahoo.com>
To: nflug at nflug.org
Subject: Re: [nflug] RE: Burning a CD-R
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:23:43 -0800 (PST)

> No software - no matter how pretty or goooey will do anything if your
> underlying kernel and cdrecord DO not like the burner or work correctly
>
> YOU MUST try to burn first with the cmd line cdrecord (or cdrdao) as that is
> all that is being called when you use KDE, XCDROAST etc etc.  If
> you can't make
> it work the GUI on top won't be able to either...
>
> Now when you've read all the cdrecord MAN page, and the ever
> continuing saga of
> cdrecord VS 2.6 kernel and atapi interface etc etc etc you'll realize why I
> stopped burning cds and burn DVDs exclusively - dvd+rwtools works just fine.
> Believe you me, I really want to burn CDs but cdrecord does not work with my
> hardware under my kernel - not much I can do unless I'm willing to 1) reboot
> into 2.4 kernel and use scsi emulation (and Maybe work) 2) become an expert C
> programmer and fork cdrecord and start over with a non scsi specific
> interface...

Someone already did this.

Doing this from the command line is daunting if you haven't done it before.
@Ron Maggio: Hereis an example you can try which I think should work well. I recently got my migration-from-2.4-to-2.6-cdrecord-problems straightened out.

Make sure that there is no scsi-emulation going on on your command line. If "cat /proc/cmdline" has a line that looks like "ide-scsi=/dev/hdc" then you need to take that out of your bootloader options and reboot.

Make a directory and put some stuff in it that will fit onto a cd. I'll call my directory "asdf". from outside the directory do this:
mkisofs -R -o asdf.raw asdf

Then find your device:
cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus

The output on my computer looks like this:
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX175E2 ' 'S002' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1212' '1R14' Removable CD-ROM
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

I want to use the SONY so my target drive is 1,0,0 . Now burn your cd (blank cd in the drive):
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=ATA:1,0,0 -isosize asdf.raw

Another suggestion someone had on this list a little while ago (which I never tried but seems like it should work) was this:
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=/dev/hdc -multi asdf.raw

It should be noted that on some systems you need to be root to do this. Depends on your setup. Good luck!

-Josh