[nflug] Really dumb ftp question

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 12:20:30 EST 2005

the directory is world writeable.  it looks like the
vsftpd daemon is being run by root (just the sound of
that makes me cringe. I'm glad this is only a
classroom exercise and not a real ftp server).
there is a user called ftp, which has no shell, but I
think (just a guess) that this is the user you become
when you log in as anonymous (can't confirm that due
to the writing issue)

when i log in as a normal user (to try to ftp to their
own directory), their login shell is bash. (default
fedora insall)

/var/log/vsftpd.log only shows the login, doesn't show
any messages regarding the upload attempt.

could there be a setting in the vsftpd.conf file,
which is not in the sample file, which overall
prevents all uploads?

--- Roelant Ossewaarde <rao3 at buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Does this FTP-server run under user ftp? If so, are
> you sure that
> that user actually can chdir and write to that
> directory? (check with
> su)
>
> Also, could the user that is trying to log in have a
> shell that is
> not listed in /etc/shells? Many FTP-servers only
> allow people to log
> in with a valid shell that is listed there.
>
> What is the output of /var/log/ftpd or
> /var/log/messages?

--snip