[nflug] issues with starting a comptuer

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Dec 15 07:57:48 EST 2005

Joshua Ronne Altemoos wrote:

>hey i ordered a PC off ebay there is a DOA policy but i want tio try to do
>what i can before i i have to return it.
>
> I plug it in and all that jazz and for a while it would just turn off. It
>was cold so I left it near a vent but not to close to over heat it when i
>switch the power on the PSU's fan starts and the LEDs on the front flash
>when they turn off. Any ideas? Also how can i find out how to getinto
>setup on a Intel D815eea Motherboard.
>
>link for product
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8727106471&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

A few things to check before assuming the worst,
1. With the cheap way cases are made today, the slightest moving around
pops the cards out of their sockets. A pc will not start if a card is
not fully seated, especially the video card. Check that all cards are
firmly seated no matter what they look like. Check the memory slots too.
2. If the pc was built by someone, they may not have mounted the
motherboard correctly with proper mounts and screws etc.. I've seen pc's
with mobo's just floppin around. Make sure it's mounted ok and that any
grounding flaps from the I/O shield are not stuck inside the usb slots
(common).
3. Make sure the cpu fan is operational and working well. It doesnt take
long for a cpu to heat up and then shut off the system (if the BIOS is
enabled) and it doesn't take long to smoke one either.
4. Make sure whatever your plugging into this pc is ok, start minimal
and work up.

Before sending it back, if you want to bring it in to our shop, we'll
have a look at it for ya.